Sunday, 20 December 2015

GINGERBREAD BISCUITS

In the run up to Christmas, things get a little bit more hectic, and the one thing that I like to do is bake. What better way to spend the holidays, than baking little treats for everyone to enjoy during the month. So I have decided to share my favourite Gingerbread recipe.

This is a very easy recipe to follow and is a great way to get everyone involved!
Ingredients:
  • 350g/12oz plain flour
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 175g/6oz dark soft brown sugar
  • 125g/4½oz butter (room temperature) 
  • 1 medium sized egg
  • 4 tbsp golden syrup
  • Decorations i.e. icing sugar, nuts, sweets (optional)

Method:
  1. Mix and sift all of the dry ingredients (plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon) into a food processor. Then add the soften butter and blend until it starts to look like breadcrumbs. Stir in the dark soft brown sugar.
  2. In a bowl, beat the egg and golden syrup together. Add this to the mixture and then pulse until the mixture starts to clump together. 
  3. Tip the dough out onto a surface and knead until it is smooth. Then wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  5. After 15 minutes, roll out the dough and start to cut out your shapes. I went for circles because it was easier/I couldn't find my cutters. 
  6. Place on the baking tray and make sure you leave a gap between each piece.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until it is lightly golden brown. Then leave on a wire rack to cool before you start to decorate.
This mixture would make around 25 gingerbread men, or if you are just going to use simple shapes like myself then it would make around 35 (I actually had 42!). Be sure to keep an eye on your biscuits when they are in the oven as the mixture is dark so it can be easy to over bake. As for decoration, I left a few plain, lightly dusted some icing sugar on a few and for the rest, I piped some icing on it. The great thing about these biscuits is that they can last for a pretty long time - just over a week if kept in an air tight container.

As this is definitely different to anything I have posted on my blog, I was a little nervous so let me know if you make these (and how they came out!).

4 comments:

  1. This post is getting saved by me! This looks awesome, I need to make these <3

    With love,
    Alisha Valerie. x

    My Blog: http://alishavalerie.blogspot.co.uk
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/saidbyalisha
    My Instagram: http://instagram.com/alisha.valerie
    My Snapchat Username: alishavalerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alisha, glad you liked it! x

      Delete

I love reading your comments on my posts, they honestly make my day!!
Remember to follow my blog for regular updates! Thank you! x